Thursday, May 08, 2008

The Queen of Puppets

JM McDermott interviews Mary "MacGyver" Robinette Kowal over at his blog:
My favorite puppets are the ones that almost move themselves. What I want is a puppet that allows me to not have to think about the manipulation so I can focus on the performance. I say that, knowing full well that one of my favorite puppets is Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. The puppet can weigh between 80 to 125 pounds. It's a show that leaves me with horrible bruises, but the show itself is such a kick and there's a huge endorphin rush from surviving the performance that I'm quite addicted to it.

I love the fox puppet I made for Pinocchio, because he is a pure expression of the character and a joy to manipulate.

As I'm thinking about it, I suspect that my love for a puppet really comes down to the character it's built to portray.

1 comment:

J m mcdermott said...

Let's not forget she done got nominated for the Campbell for a reason, too...

One of her stories:
http://www.strangehorizons.com/2006/20060130/kowal-f.shtml

A very fine publication where she works:
http://www.shimmerzine.com/